Monday, June 29, 2015

Srixon Z-Star Pure White Golf Ball Review

Name: Srixon Z-Star Pure White Golf Balls
Price: a dozen for ~$45 (via srixon.com)
Features: Spinskin™ technology helps generate more spin and feel around the greens, Speed Dimple™ pattern which maximizes surface area, which in turn reduces drag and promotes distance. Enhanced Energetic Gradient Growth Core™ optimizes spin, trajectory, acceleration, and responsiveness (S.T.A.R.)
http://torontogolfreviews.blogspot.com/2015/06/srixon-z-star-pure-white-golf-ball-review.html

Value:
Build/Quality:
Effectiveness:
Features:

Overall Rating:  4 out of 5

The Srixon Z-Star Pure White golf ball is the newest edition of the Srixion Z-Star line. Unlike some of the other golf balls we've reviewed, this is a "tour" ball that's designed for players with swing speeds between about 90mph-110mph. It's not a full-out tour ball; that title falls to the Srixon Z-Star XV, which is gamed by pros such as Graeme McDowell.

Like most golf balls on the market, the Z-Star claims it can increase distance off the tee yet maintain high spin speeds and feel around the green. To get the distance, Srixon claims it's Speed Dimple™ technology (which is basically a unique dimple pattern) allows for less drag on the golf ball during flight, which in turn produces longer shots and ones less prone to wind resistance. To get the spin, Srixon says uses Spinskin™ technology. This is an outer coating on the ball that increases frictional force and also overall softness, which gives you that greenside spin and touch. Srixon also says it's Enhanced Energetic Gradient Growth Core™ aids in various areas like spin, trajectory, acceleration, and responsiveness.

I put this ball in play during my last round and here's what I've concluded from it. With the driver, I didn't notice an increase in distance compared to my normal drives and any changes at all were probably due to the way I struck the ball. There was a big difference with my approach shots into the green, however. With my woods, hybrids, and long irons, I noticed that the ball had more spin after being struck. As my ball landed on the green, it checked a bit (much more check than what I normally get) and stayed on the green. I was able to land more balls on the green with these clubs than before, which is a huge bonus for a golfer such as myself who struggles to hit greens. Normally, I would hit these shots and they would land on the green and roll off.

With my shorter irons and wedges, there was also an increase in spin in my shots. My chip shots onto the green stuck very well and the spin of the ball was very consistent from shot to shot (subject to how I played the shot as well). This aids a lot in chipping as you can factor in how much check your ball will have before you hit your shot. I also felt I could control the spin of the ball a bit more than other balls I've played.


Overall, I found that the new Srixon Z-Star Pure White golf ball is great when it comes to it's claims of spin and feel, but lacks in the distance department. It's also worth considering the price of the ball, which is up near the Titleist ProV1 and Bridgestone B330 territory. I'd suggest picking up a 3-pack of these balls and seeing if they work for you before committing to them. I'd also recommend this golf ball for mid-to low handicappers who need a bit more spin in their shots into and around the greens. Higher handicappers might not be able to take full advantage of what the ball offers (see our Best Ball for Higher Handicappers post).

Do you play this ball? Comment below and let us know what you think of it,


-Nick
Toronto Golf Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment