Monday, September 08, 2014

Nike Vapor Black 2.0 Golf Ball Review

Name: Nike Vapor Black 2.0 Golf Balls
Price: a dozen for ~$25 in most stores
Features: Soft core creates spins on low drives, specialty mantle layer enhances speed and accuracy, responsive, softened ionomer cover for short game control, softer and longer and more versatile than previous generation.

http://torontogolfreviews.blogspot.com/2014/09/nike-vapor-black-20-golf-ball-review.html

Value:
Build/Quality:
Effectiveness:
Features:

Overall Rating:  3.5 out of 5

The Nike Vapor Black 2.0 seems to be another Nike golf ball designed for distance off the tee and control around the greens, or in other words an all around golf ball. It's an updated version of Nike's old Vapor Black model and Nike claims this newer version is softer, longer, and in general better than the old version. Seeing as I played the original Vapor Blacks just a few rounds before spotting these in the stores, I figured I'd give the 2.0's a shot. As of now, these balls are going for about $25 dollars for a dozen (still half the price of ProV1's), but some websites are offering deals on them if you are buying more than one box.

Like always, let's look at the features of the ball. The Vapor Black 2.0's feature a softened ionomer outside cover or shell as well as an inner layer (mantle), all which result in short game control. The core of the ball is also very soft, which is aimed to promote a forgiving, low-spin ball flight (perfect for distance and shots into the wind).

From my testing of the ball, which was a few rounds in normal and windy conditions, here's what I've concluded about it. Starting with the driver, I noticed that I hit a lot more nicer drives with this ball. By nicer I mean a lot less left/right movement during my ball flight. I also noticed that the ball seems to be affected by wind a lot less than a regular golf ball. For example, on one hole the wind was moving left to right and I got under my tee shot, sending the ball high up into the air. However, the ball didn't move as much right as I'd normally expect it to in that kind of wind. In that sense, it makes for a more forgiving ball, forgiving from the wind at least. The same also applied to my woods and hybrids, which I found I hit really well while using this ball.

Distance-wise, the ball performed excellent, but I found it lacking the short game control that Nike claims it has. With iron shots into the green, the ball did not stick too well as I thought it would (based on what Nike claims). These shots had less spin and as a result hit the green, bounced, and kept on rolling. Normally an iron shot into a green will hit the green, bounce, then due to it's backspin, roll just a bit. It was the same case for wedge shots around the green, which I found kept on rolling and rolling when they hit the green. Maybe that softer core (which produces the lower spin on drives) is giving the ball less spin on iron and wedge shots too?


Overall, the Nike Vapor Black 2.0 performs with drives and long shots, but is lacking around and on the greens. Nike markets the ball as a good all around golf ball (where it has a lot of competition) but it would probably be better off marketing it as a distance golf ball (like their Distance SFT model. I would rate the ball higher if it was marketed as a ball made solely for distance. However, I'd still recommend using it for driving holes or long holes that require a good and long tee shot, as well as to all golfers who want a ball that goes father and punches through wind. Thinking about it now, this would probably be a good ball for a links golf course.


Feel free to leave a comment if you've played this ball and share your experience with it,


-Nick
Toronto Golf Reviews
 


2 comments:

  1. I read your article. I like that share such nice points about golf ball. I always keep in mind while buy in golf ball especially the quality and effectiveness of the golf balls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, it's always great to hear feedback about our posts. You're right, quality and effectiveness are very important when buying a new ball.

    -Nick
    Toronto Golf Reviews

    ReplyDelete